Part of the Erie Canal Adventure Lab Trail
Canajoharie is the name of a town and a village in Montgomery County, New York. It is located on the Erie Canal about halfway between Waterford and Three Rivers at the confluence of the Mohawk River and Canajoharie Creek. The village is near the site of a Mohawk village of the same name. The area around Canajoharie was settled by Dutch & Palatine Europeans during the 1730’s. The Mohawks were forced to cede most of their New York lands after the Revolution because they had supported the British during the Revolutionary War. The section of the Erie Canal from Sprakers West through Montgomery County was mostly completed by the Spring of 1823. Canajoharie was an important stop along the Eire Canal. The village was headquarters of the Beech-nut Company during the 20th Century. Canajoharie is the home of the Arkell Museum which features exhibits of European and American Paintings as well as historical exhibits about the Mohawk Valley and the Beech-Nut Company.
Created by BanjoTramp
Use your phone's native QR code scanner to open this Adventure in the Adventure Lab® mobile app. Learn more.